Gaming Gran Turismo 5

Weaste, any idea if there will be an Official GT5 wheel released by Sony/Gran Turismo?

I don't fancy a 3rd party one as I'm a GT fanboi.

Here’s a quick overview of what’s been discussed in the TGS 2010 GT5 breakout session:

Laguna Seca has been completely rebuilt and will return for GT5. Trial Mountain has also been confirmed.
“Gran Turismo Anywhere” will allow you to manage B-Spec races, right from your computer. You’ll be able to hold B-Spec races with your friends from anywhere in what are called “Remote Races”.
GT5 will feature a series of special events such as the Karting Experience, the AMG driving school, The Stig Challenge, Jeff Gordon NASCAR School, Sebastien Loeb Rally Challenge, and Gran Turismo Rally.
Point-to-point rally stages will be automatically and randomly generated – you’ll have to depend on your co-driver to give you the best instructions about the road ahead.
Rally mode can be played either on or offline.
Weather changes include temperature differences, air pressure changes, and humidity, affecting the surface conditions of the track dynamically.
Weather conditions are randomized. Forecasts for your race will be available but may not be entirely accurate, just like the real world.
Polyphony Digital has helped Red Bull Racing’s Adrian Newey design the X1 Concept – an “ultimate” racing car, free of any technical regulations.
Polyphony Digital has worked to improve engine sounds.
Yamauchi admits that, in certain situations – such as standing race starts in the rain with 15 other cars on the screen kicking up spray in front of you – the game may not be able to hold 60FPS. Otherwise, it will strive to hold 60FPS as often as possible.
The Volkswagen Kubelwagen, which has a drive system like the first beetle, and the amphibious Volkswagen Schwimmwagen will be in the game.
Many things didn’t make the cut in Gran Turismo 5, and work on Gran Turismo 6 has already begun.

Here’s a quick overview of what’s been discussed in the TGS 2010 GT5 breakout session:

Laguna Seca has been completely rebuilt and will return for GT5. Trial Mountain has also been confirmed.
“Gran Turismo Anywhere” will allow you to manage B-Spec races, right from your computer. You’ll be able to hold B-Spec races with your friends from anywhere in what are called “Remote Races”.
GT5 will feature a series of special events such as the Karting Experience, the AMG driving school, The Stig Challenge, Jeff Gordon NASCAR School, Sebastien Loeb Rally Challenge, and Gran Turismo Rally.
Point-to-point rally stages will be automatically and randomly generated – you’ll have to depend on your co-driver to give you the best instructions about the road ahead.
Rally mode can be played either on or offline.
Weather changes include temperature differences, air pressure changes, and humidity, affecting the surface conditions of the track dynamically.
Weather conditions are randomized. Forecasts for your race will be available but may not be entirely accurate, just like the real world.
Polyphony Digital has helped Red Bull Racing’s Adrian Newey design the X1 Concept – an “ultimate” racing car, free of any technical regulations.
Polyphony Digital has worked to improve engine sounds.
Yamauchi admits that, in certain situations – such as standing race starts in the rain with 15 other cars on the screen kicking up spray in front of you – the game may not be able to hold 60FPS. Otherwise, it will strive to hold 60FPS as often as possible.
The Volkswagen Kubelwagen, which has a drive system like the first beetle, and the amphibious Volkswagen Schwimmwagen will be in the game.
Many things didn’t make the cut in Gran Turismo 5, and work on Gran Turismo 6 has already begun.

I love the idea of the race starting out dry then the weather conditions kicking in, it's going to make endurance races very, very interesting!

The official wheel is the Logitec DFGT.

Fantastic thanks mate, I'll be having that!

I love the idea of the race starting out dry then the weather conditions kicking in, it's going to make endurance races very, very interesting!

Fantastic thanks mate, I'll be having that!

Just going to put it out there, the DFGT is the bottom of the range in the logitech list. Almost all of your forcefeedback wheels will work with GT. If you can get a g25 on the cheap, its a much better buy.

The only plus compared to its bigger brothers is the twisty dial for on the fly changes to brake bias/balance and TC, however that can easily be mapped into the controls of the other wheels.

Other then that, its only got one force feedback motor compared to most wheels have 2.

They also mention native 1080p, but we'll see about that. However, if they have got the engine to do 3D @ 720p 60fps, it's not out of the question to have 2D at real 1920x1080. Prologue is 1280x1080 scaled in the horizontal.

It looks like it does the rain properly as well, unlike that F1 game. You know, where you are doing 200mph and the water droplets jig about on your view instead of flying off as they should.

e9c4k0.jpg

:D

From just a grainy video that looks just about the best rain effects I have ever seen. This is going to shift some serious amounts as well as consoles.

Just going to put it out there, the DFGT is the bottom of the range in the logitech list. Almost all of your forcefeedback wheels will work with GT. If you can get a g25 on the cheap, its a much better buy.

The only plus compared to its bigger brothers is the twisty dial for on the fly changes to brake bias/balance and TC, however that can easily be mapped into the controls of the other wheels.

Other then that, its only got one force feedback motor compared to most wheels have 2.

Ah, okay, thanks for the heads-up mate - I've not had a wheel for a console since the PS1. The thought of a wheel and GT5 is just too much fun.

It looks like it does the rain properly as well, unlike that F1 game. You know, where you are doing 200mph and the water droplets jig about on your view instead of flying off as they should.

:D

Jeez, that looks amazing - I removed the gif from my post so it doesn't lag the page up.

Quite simply its jizztastic.

Looks like the home screen is going to be great for user interaction too.

4995331952_ce061b9721_o.jpg

It certainly is going to represent proper value for money, and its not like they have even told us all the features yet as we only got the weather confirmed at TGS. The Newey designed X1 which is free of all race rules looks like it might be brilliant albeit we have also only seen that from a dark trailer.

I still hope/think they have some open wheelers up their sleeves to show yet.

A question to GT/racing simulation fans?

I'm what you'd classify as a "casual gamer" when it comes to racing games, I prefer the wackiness of Mario Kart, to the usually bore inducing simulations like Forza or GT (no offence guys) but even I myself have been blown away by the sheer attention to detail/graphics/the physics involved in GT 5. My question is, what appeals most to you guys about racing simulators? And would GT 5's whole package end up entertaining for a player like me or will it bore me within minutes regardless of the whole package it offers?

GT sells so much because as Redlambs keeps pointing out, it's designed from the bottom up to be accessible, and even then with all assists on and in easy mode it still seems to be too difficult to many people.

I don't know, does this look like fun to you? I don't know if you have seen it or not.

They try to make it accessible to those who are not into simulations whilst trying at the same time to give those that are as realistic an experience as possible.

Never seen that before, yep now that kind of thing looks like the type of fun I'd be interested in. I see you and a few others have mentioned how you're looking forward to the day/night feature, I'd assume that for the feature to kick in, you'd have to play ridiculously long races. For someone like me, I'd quit half way, as I'd have got bored of going round and round the track (I realise there's far more to it than just that), so what's the main appeal to the more serious players out there? Are you a racing purist?

I'm what you'd classify as a "casual gamer" when it comes to racing games, I prefer the wackiness of Mario Kart, to the usually bore inducing simulations like Forza or GT (no offence guys) but even I myself have been blown away by the sheer attention to detail/graphics/the physics involved in GT 5. My question is, what appeals most to you guys about racing simulators? And would GT 5's whole package end up entertaining for a player like me or will it bore me within minutes regardless of the whole package it offers?

GT's aren't sims. There's so many features and options, it's difficult to see it not appealing to any kind of racing fans, however it's obviously much different to the mighty Mario Kart :lol:

Forza is closer, but is still overlooked by too many people because of the 'sim' tag, when in reality it's more capable of being an arcade racer than a true sim.

GT sells so much because as Redlambs keeps pointing out, it's designed from the bottom up to be accessible, and even then with all assists on and in easy mode it still seems to be too difficult to many people.

I don't know, does this look like fun to you? I don't know if you have seen it or not.

They try to make it accessible to those who are not into simulations whilst trying at the same time to give those that are as realistic an experience as possible.

I agree. Personally I don't think the driving is going to be anywhere near as great as I'd like (or hyped), however the sheer amount in the game should make it easily worth the investment, and a worthy console racer which should make Forza 2 gather dust.

I see you and a few others have mentioned how you're looking forward to the day/night feature, I'd assume that for the feature to kick in, you'd have to play ridiculously long races. For someone like me, I'd quit half way, as I'd have got bored of going round and round the track (I realise there's far more to it than just that), so what's the main appeal to the more serious players out there? Are you a racing purist?

You can have 24 hours long races if you want, and you can get an AI driver to take over from you, however you can speed up the day/night cycle also, there is no necessary reason why it can't be done in 5 minutes rather than 24 hours. That's what the last demos have done, it literally goes from day to night in minutes. Driving in the dark is a very different experience, because you can't see shit!

There is a video in the thread somewhere, wait a mo....

I had a few good goes on WOHD with Stemmy one night, fecking great fun, and we ended about even.

GT5 allows us to create a private club of a maximum of 32 players at once in the lobby with 16 on the track, and I'm sure that many more people will buy GT5 than Wipeout.

Stupid really, Wipeout HD is dirt cheap and one of the best games on the system, but people will be people.

I'm definatly up for some racing, it will be G25 sometimes and controller another depending on if I can be arsed to hook the wheel up.

You want a Fanatec Porche Wheel don't you?

Ok, but probably considering that you've never actually driven anything in real life more powerful than a lawnmower, you'll get owned Elvis. We do this with Dualshock only and pro physics with all assists off.