Gaming Gran Turismo 5

November can't come soon enough.

Tell me about it. I only have something like a 20gb ps3. Only need one game. Ive only ever played prologue and some football game. Soon as the full gran turismo is here, thats it. My ps3 is complete. I must say i have got my money's worth for prologue. Im a master of it.

Wow, this is a steal.

Sony PlayStation 3 PS3 Slim Console Bundle with 320GB HDD + Gran Turismo 5: Collectors Edition PlayStation3 Game - Play.com (UK) - Free Delivery

285 quid.

16164644x.jpg

The CE is 60 quid on its own.

I saw that yesterday. Can't even get a Slim 250GB version alone for that price here. feck!

First chink in the armour, Ted.

This editor admits to being a long-standing fan of the Gran Turismo series and am out-of-my-brain pumped about GT5's release this November. And I find the below shots of the game's car damage model a tad disappointing.

Polyphony seems to have told its polygons to bend all over the place with complete disregard for the way actual metal dents, and the differences between metal panels and plastic bumpers, which tend to bend or crack completely.

There's also no effect on the game's textures, so cars are all bashed up but the paintwork remains flawless.

The result? Look at that shot of the mangled Ferrari 458 Italia. It looks like it's made of Play-Doh, or has been left out in the sun too long and is melting. And check the video below of the same car; 30 seconds in the camera switches to the above-car view to reveal a polygonal mess.

Not impressed. The game will still be awesome, and it's good to at least have SOME damage in the series at last, but games like Burnout Paradise raised the bar - a bar we thought Polyphony would reach effortlessly.

News: GT5's car damage screens disappoint - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

Did you watch the video?

Not really a chink in the armor. Polyphony should have actually released this in a press release.

Manufacturers like Ferrari, lambo and basically all exotic car builders generally want theirs cars to be represented to the upmost detail. What they don't like is their cars being able to be banged up, especially in simulator type games. If you look at many games that have Ferrari present in them like Forza for example, you'd know that there is very little superficial damage because the manufacturers don't want their cars being torn to pieces. Racing cars on the other hand are completely different. They are after all subject to bashing and crashing every other weekend so full blown damage doesn't really matter.

For the uneducated this is nothing new and most people won't care in the end. The idiot journalist needs to realize that games like Burnout are not subject to licensing agreements given that all of the cars are fictional.

I'm surprised they've been allowed that much damage to be completely honest.

And you don't think the crash damage looks like shit?

A. He doesn't have a clue how old that build is. The fact that they are even trying dynamic geometry deformation, that might never actually make it into the final build, is something interesting.
B. We've seen GT5 builds with simple damage such as just the bonnet flying up and doors opening.
C. We've seen GT5 builds where the damage is only paint scratches.
D. It could be a bug.
E. Conjectural bollocks not worth bothering with, why don't you wait until the gold release?

Not really a chink in the armor. Polyphony should have actually released this in a press release.

Manufacturers like Ferrari, lambo and basically all exotic car builders generally want theirs cars to be represented to the upmost detail. What they don't like is their cars being able to be banged up, especially in simulator type games. If you look at many games that have Ferrari present in them like Forza for example, you'd know that there is very little superficial damage because the manufacturers don't want their cars being torn to pieces. Racing cars on the other hand are completely different. They are after all subject to bashing and crashing every other weekend so full blown damage doesn't really matter.

For the uneducated this is nothing new and most people won't care in the end. The idiot journalist needs to realize that games like Burnout are not subject to licensing agreements given that all of the cars are fictional.

I'm surprised they've been allowed that much damage to be completely honest.

Burnout damage is also pre-baked for the most part, it's not dynamic at all, it's like comparing a water melon to a prune. CGV even nicked that YouTube video from GTPlanet and didn't even credit it. Gaming since 1981? Yes, was once a reasonable magazine, yet all it does now is scour the net for crap to get hits on its website.

Paintwork scratches:

x6kcaa.jpg

Old buggy build:

gt5-bestbuy-damage-round2-1.jpg

Bits flying off/opening:

gt5_damage.jpg

If they cannot get it right, it will not be in, yet nobody has seen a build with all three of these things happening at the same time.

Well, it is hard to "tell the polygons to bend" in the right place :lol:

In all seriousness though, as usual I think they are placing a bit too much focus on photorealistic screenshots. I mean there is no reason they couldn't use real time deformed meshes and pre-baked texture layers. It might not look authentic under close up inspection, but in-game it'd be fine and appear to be location specific damage.

Although since i'm on a phone and haven't seen any of the above videos, that might be the route they are trying?

I hope you're not judging GT5's crash damage from a low quality video Lance. Surely you should play the game first before making any observations from gameplay videos?

Still upset about making a cock of yourself in the COD thread?

:lol:

The problem I have with damage is that it's also linked to mechanical damage, it's not just for looks. This will mean that whenever someone in an online game has a shunt significant enough to feck up the car, they will be out of the race, and in such a scenario I can imagine thousands of teenagers will simply turn the car around and go the wrong way around the track trying to hit everything they can see coming the right way, just for the shits and giggles. Thank god for private lobbies.

I don't think being able to visually wreck up your car really adds to what Grand Turismo's been about in the past anyway.

The fun was always in being able to master a particular corner or course, or overtake someone, whilst driving some pain in the arse car that spins a mile off course the second you get something even slightly wrong. Frustrating as hell but addictive as hell and visually brilliant at the same time.

Games like Burnout are for people who want to wreck shit up just for the sake of it (i.e. me).

Or there's Grid which is sort of half one half the other, and still good fun.

Gran Turismo is in between the arcade racers and the sims. This one may be different, but I doubt it's anything majorly advanced from what we've seen on consoles.

However, the sheer amount of cars and modes, coupled with what will no doubt be an enjoyable enough physics engine, should make it amongst (if not the) best.

I don't think being able to visually wreck up your car really adds to what Grand Turismo's been about in the past anyway.

The fun was always in being able to master a particular corner or course, or overtake someone, whilst driving some pain in the arse car that spins a mile off course the second you get something even slightly wrong. Frustrating as hell but addictive as hell and visually brilliant at the same time.

Games like Burnout are for people who want to wreck shit up just for the sake of it (i.e. me).

Or there's Grid which is sort of half one half the other, and still good fun.

Exactly my opinion.

I've enjoyed Gran Turismo a lot without damage, to me a race where I crash is a shit race. It was all about competing against myself (the AI and few opponents always made sure that the competition against other cars was never too realistic) and trying to drive perfectly.

Adding damage, more opponents, and specially the opportunity to race online will surely be a welcome thing, but I hope they do it right and that all other aspects of the game remain great like they used to.