Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
The counter/increased offer hasn't materialised yet then?

I can't imagine they've just given up already, perhaps there are discussions going on on the basis of "How much do you want then?", or talking to Fabregas & his agent.

Maybe they have moved to another unrealistic target....maybe a 22.9m bid for Messi?

Why are Barca fans so keen to see the back of him? Was he that bad? There's more chance of him being a success in Barcas midfield 3 as opposed to our midfield 2.

He just doesn't fit in. Imagine Veron and Berbatov for United.. then picture Fabregas. I'm sure they don't mind his quality however its not the be all and end all of their play.

I disagree with you mate. Explain this: most of our tranfers come out of the blue, we keep'em quiet. Why did leak this one??

Why did we bid well below the market value? Why did we bit after Barca lost Thiago??

I don't have the answer to either question. But it seems to me the first one contradicts your point - if I get you right, that is. If we wanted to make a "show-off" bid, to impress who knows who or what, we surely wouldn't offer anything below market price. That would impress neither our fans nor the media. The most obvious explanation for the "low" bid is that we know something, or at least think we know something, based on...erm, something either Barca or Fabregas (or Fabregas' agent) have communicated to us.

The second question: Well, as I've said before, it's not entirely unthinkable that Barca (and/or players and agents) have given us the impression that neither Thiago nor Febragas was an impossible target: Moyes wanted Thiago, couldn't have him, so went for the other guy. This obviously doesn't fit in with what Moyes has said himself (that Thiago was not the No1 target), but that could be smoke for the press on his part: He wouldn't go out and say that Fabregas - now his only option of the two - was in fact his second choice.

People will use any unlikely transfer in history to justify a next one Cantona, Van Persie etc. each moved for different reasons. If we are weighing up what we do know then the likelihood is Fabregas doesn't come here. No harm in hoping but some of you trying to convince the rest of us need to leave it out, we watch football and follow the news and the club the same way you do. Bidding for Fabregas is a great signal of intent without signing him. It lets people know the calibre of player we will be aiming for. I think the club purposely leaked the information we never give out transfer news until the deal is basically done....

Yes really and because United like secrecy with transfer deals.
Making 'fake' bids doesn't give us secrecy. You think the people who feed stories to the papers will stop because we bid for another player? Did being linked with Thiago stop us being linked to other players?

Making 'fake' bids doesn't give us secrecy. You think the people who feed stories to the papers will stop because we bid for another player? Did being linked with Thiago stop us being linked to other players?

The Thiago link was the obvious one throughout the summer, all other transfer stories involving United and midfielders garnered a lot less press. People will still link United with players but if the top story is United bidding for Fabregas that is where most people's attention will be fixed. Anyway, not sure how much mileage this discussion has, you clearly disagree and that's no problem!

People will use any unlikely transfer in history to justify a next one Cantona, Van Persie etc. each moved for different reasons. If we are weighing up what we do know then the likelihood is Fabregas doesn't come here. No harm in hoping but some of you trying to convince the rest of us need to leave it out, we watch football and follow the news and the club the same way you do. Bidding for Fabregas is a great signal of intent without signing him. It lets people know the calibre of player we will be aiming for. I think the club purposely leaked the information we never give out transfer news until the deal is basically done....

And bidding for Fabregas and, allegedly, Thiago gives a pretty good signal that Moyes is very aware of what we lack in midfield, which should please a lot of people on here...

So we didnt bid for Thiago, we bid for Cesc and now the groundwork has been laid for a bid for Fellaini. I suppose it's quite clever, by indicating we want a midfielder and not securing one - Fellaini will be bouyed. But we do not want to overpay as shown by our bid amounts. We will wait for Fellaini to force a move through which he can do by putting in a transfer request or dragging his feet.

Bidding for Fabregas is a great signal of intent without signing him.

A signal of intent would actually be signing him. Its not like clubs or supporters will be going "remember when United bid for Fabregas? That was amazing.They really showed they mean business"

Come on man everyone should know the calibre of player we are aiming for. Shouldn't need bids to reinforce that.

And bidding for Fabregas and, allegedly, Thiago gives a pretty good signal that Moyes is very aware of what we lack in midfield, which should please a lot of people on here...

Well apparently we never actually wanted Thiago, it was Fabregas we wanted all along. Currently the very best midfielders are too hard to get imo. Thiago would have been a great signing anybody else we will need to pay at least 30 million for. I have no problem with that but I still feel the players that would suit us best are unattainable. It is nice to see bids but I would rather we focused on lesser players we can actually get here.

p.s How good is Sergi Roberto????

I'd believe it if the public pursuit of Fabregas is a tactic to allow United to get on with their real targets. That way even if this approach for Fabregas fails a new midfielder will be announced around the same time. No idea who though.
Which is what my first thought was.

Then I just started enjoying this thread for the lovely entertainment it's provided.

A signal of intent would actually be signing him. Its not like clubs or supporters will be going "remember when United bid for Fabregas? That was amazing.They really showed they mean business"

Come on man everyone should know the calibre of player we are aiming for. Shouldn't need bids to reinforce that.

No bidding is also a signal of our intent to go out and spend money to get the best players. Right now fans are happy to see us going for this calibre of player (instead of Felliani etc.) I also said it ends up meaning nothing unless we sign him.

No bidding is also a signal of our intent to go out and spend money to get the best players. Right now fans are happy to see us going for this calibre of player (instead of Felliani etc.) I also said it ends up meaning nothing unless we sign him.

Yeh but we shouldn't need public bids to reinforce that perception. It should just "be there."

Could Rooney's apparent wish to leave this evening be part of the Cesc merry-go-round? :-)

United management must know something we don't, even if what they "know" is that Barcelona wouldn't mind cashing in on Fabregas.

For us mere posters, we can only know what's in the public domain and speculate on that basis. Speculating on what we know right now, there's little chance of us landing Fabregas. But that's not to say there's ZERO chance of that happening. I'd say it's close to zero, however. A zero chance target would be Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Schweinsteiger, Thiago Silva and the like.

If you're playing the odds, bet against United procuring Fabregas. But we did land RvP last season, so you can't really rule this one completely out.

What the feckery jimbob are you talking about?

You might need to retrace your steps ac....y'know as you've got a lot on in this thread.
Apologies. Why won't you tell us your plan? It's an easy task apparently.

Yeh but we shouldn't need public bids to reinforce that perception. It should just "be there."

It should, but there are quite a handful of clubs who are bigger forces in the market than us. How often have we bought a star from another big club?

United management must know something we don't, even if what they "know" is that Barcelona wouldn't mind cashing in on Fabregas.

For us mere posters, we can only know what's in the public domain and speculate on that basis. Speculating on what we know right now, there's little chance of us landing Fabregas. But that's not to say there's ZERO chance of that happening. I'd say it's close to zero, however. A zero chance target would be Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Schweinsteiger, Thiago Silva and the like.

If you're playing the odds, bet against United procuring Fabregas. But we did land RvP last season, so you can't really rule this one completely out.

Van Persie Arsenal's hand was forced in this situation not as much.

The cnut ran his contract down to blackmail us to selling him for a reduced fee or lose him for nothing on a Bosman.

They are cnuts for leaving before their contract ends, a year before or after their contract ends.

Footballers are cnuts.

Van Persie Arsenal's hand was forced in this situation not as much.

True, and there's no evidence that Fabregas will force Barcelona's hand as RVP. Even if he's not starting many games he's still an important figure for the sniveling catalans, first in line behind Iniesta and Xavi. He's living in Barcelona, which is a huge plus, and I'm sure his wages are more than adequate.

Still, Barcelona may see brilliant talent in their ranks and decide that now would be a great time to cash in on Cesc. I really can't see that happening, but then again we sold Beckham and Ruud when they were both at the peak of their game.

The cnut ran his contract down to blackmail us to selling him for a reduced fee or lose him for nothing on a Bosman.

Can you really blame RVP? Of course not.

Arsenal have become something of a laughingstock in recent years. RvP wasn't the first to abandon ship and he won't be the last. Wilshere will be the next, probably next summer after another miserable season where Arsenal barely make fourth place, which "is as good as a trophy" according to their manager.

That said, if you're a gooner it's prefectly reasonable to be bitter toward RvP.

Status
Not open for further replies.